A great looking outfit that fits like a dream will always make you feel confident and ready to take on the world. Unfortunately, a well put-together look can be ruined or at least obscured by poorly chosen outerwear. But why not use this outer layer to your advantage and turn it into a piece that ties the rest of your outfit together- or better yet, make it the focal part of your look!
Here are just a few of the reasons you should consider investing more time, attention and a bigger part of your shopping budget into your outerwear:
- A beautiful coat will always draw attention and make your outfit look ten times better, even if what you’re wearing underneath is plain and basic. During colder months, people get to see your coat first, so why not invest in a great looking one that will make you look and feel fabulous? It will also give you that Fashion Week street-style star vibe, no matter what else you’re wearing.
- A good quality coat, even if more expensive, will last you a few good seasons and will keep its shape, colour and texture for longer. You’ll be likely to reach for it more often, so the price per wear will actually drop, making it a great investment piece, especially if you buy a timeless silhouette in a neutral colour. Invest in your quality basics first, and then add a few pops of colour or trendier items.
- Coats are also a great way of balancing out your silhouette. You can choose one with details on the bust and shoulders if you want to draw attention there, or a nicely trimmed hem to draw the eye to the lower part of your body. You can colour block accordingly to make yourself look slimmer or more voluptuous, and you can leave the buttons undone to give a peak of your outfit underneath and create the illusion of a longer, slimmer body.
- A well chosen jacket or blazer can become the finishing touch for an elegant, festive outfit. We often choose outerwear for its functionality and end up having no good options for special events. Sure, you can through your parka over just about anything, but the total effect of your outfit will definitely be diminished. Having even one elegant jacket that is well tailored to your body will give you a safety net in case a last minute invitation to a chic party arises.
- You will wear your jackets a lot more in a year than you think. Sure, you may only wear a thick coat during the winter, but spring and autumn also require some covering up. Ideally you would have a parka, raincoat or a nice looking trench coat to carry you through chilly nights, wind and rain. It’s well worth building a capsule collection of a wool coat, a trench coat, an embellished evening jacket, a (faux) leather jacket and a sharp looking blazer to rotate throughout the year and keep your outfits on point 100% of the time.
And here are some options that would be great for that capsule:
- A gorgeous, elegant faux-fur coat from Topshop that would be the ideal topper for any glam winter events
- This tailored Riverisland jacket that will let you play on the embroidered theme from AW16 well into SS17.
- A faux-leather jacket to carry you well into spring and next autumn
- A great looking parka with a twist, to give you that special something that sets you apart
- This sharp yet feminine blazer to make you feel like a girl boss everytime you put it on