Hi again all, hope you’re having a lovely Thursday- almost Friday- nearly weekend, yay! We’re enjoying some gorgeous weather here in Amsterdam at the moment (20 degrees, can you believe it ??), but as we know, spring is a fickle season. It can go from sunny and warm to windy and chilly in the blink of an eye. And that is why we need to always be prepared wardrobe wise!
In last week’s post, I was giving you some tips on how to recognize items worth investing in, you know, those widely touted wardrobe staples that make your lives easier. Well today, I’m here to bring one such category of items to your attention: transitional pieces. These articles that help you move on from winter and into spring are definitely part of those staples worth a good investment, and here are 5 reasons why:
- Transitional pieces work to get you from winter to spring, but you’ll also reach from them when going from summer to autumnn and winter. So you are basically wearing them for 2 seasons a year, which is twice as much as you wear your winter and summer clothes. They go through a lot more wear and tear, but that also means they get rotated and used more, which means you will get a great cost per wear out of them in the end. And I talk about cost per wear quite often on my blog and in my videos, because it’s an extremely important factor to keep in mind when choosing your wardrobe. A lot of us reach for the really cheap clothes out of impulse, but the reality is you will probably wear them twice and they will fall apart after the first wash. But then you could invest a bit more money into pieces that you will wear for a few good seasons, and if you divide the price of the item by the number of times you’ve worn it, it might just turn out to be lower than in the first scenario. Who knew Maths can make you more stylish?
- Good, useful transitional items will need to be waterproof and windproof to protect you from random spring showers- especially when it comes to outerwear. And good quality pieces that look good and are also functional and protective even when the weather turns glum will not come cheap. But they will keep you comfy, warm and dry and could possibly save you a few nasty colds. So it’s an investment not only in your looks. but also in your well-being.
- Transitional pieces are the first you reach for when you want to ditch those thick winter items, but aren’t quite ready to go straight to shorts and T-shirts. I don’t know about you, but I always have a slightly uncomfortable moment when winter ends and I have to start baring some skin. After so much time spent all bundled up, it feels somewhat unnatural and intrusive to suddenly be more exposed. And that’s exactly why having some beautiful items that make you feel truly excited to reach for them is so important- they ease the transition into summer clothes territory and make you feel more relaxed about switching your wardrobe for breezier, lighter articles.
- As you’ll be wearing these clothes quite a lot in a year, they need to be easy to mix and match between themselves and with other articles. Transitional pieces need to be beautifully made, well fitted, and it helps so much if they have a classic cut and potentially a neutral color. This way you will get maximum wear out of them, which plants them smack down in the category of timeless, investment worthy pieces. Also, transitional clothes need to be breathable, so you don’t get sweaty when the weather turns hot and sunny in the middle of the day, but they also need to be sturdy enough to protect you in the early morning and late evening, when temperatures drop. This means they will need to be made from quality, natural materials, and these do cost a pretty penny- but are totally worth it!
- And we can’t forget transitional weather accessories, they offer such rich possibilities! If you keep the rest of your articles neutral and classic, you can go nuts on bold accessories that give you that extra oomph. Patterned tights, embroidered booties and bright scarves can all make your outfit stand out. They’re well worth investing in, as they can become the focal point in your outfit- and an amazing pair of shoes can elevate any outfit from blah to wow!
I sure hope I’ve convinced you of the important role transitional pieces have in our wardrobes, and that they do need some planning and investing in, to make sure you end up with some really valuable ones! And to see which transitional items I’m currently loving, go check out my latest video. Enjoy, and please let me know what you think of it!